Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh), February 2: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath criticized Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Akhilesh Yadav on Sunday, accusing him of consistently opposing the Maha Kumbh in Prayagraj over the past two months. Addressing a public rally in the Milkipur Assembly constituency, Adityanath pointed out that even during the establishment of Ram Lalla idol in Ayodhya, the SP had opposed it. He specifically mentioned that all of Akhilesh Yadav’s posts on X (formerly Twitter) in the last two months had been critical of the Maha Kumbh, calling it the “biggest spiritual and cultural event of this century.
Adityanath added that, so far, 34 crore devotees had participated in the holy dip at Triveni Sangam, emphasizing the scale and significance of the event.
The Milkipur by-election, scheduled for February 5, has become a focal point of political discussions, with vote counting set for February 8. The Congress party, an ally of the Samajwadi Party in the INDIA alliance, has opted not to field a candidate, instead backing the SP nominee. The SP has selected Ajit Prasad, the son of Awadhesh Prasad, while the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has chosen Chandrabhan Paswan as their contender.
Samajwadi Party MP Dimple Yadav, speaking on Thursday, expressed confidence in the party victory in the by-poll. “The Samajwadi Party will secure a great victory, sending a strong message to the entire country and state,†she said during a media interaction.
In the 2024 Lok Sabha elections, the BJP faced a setback in Uttar Pradesh as the INDIA alliance secured 43 seats, with the SP winning 37, while the NDA alliance, led by the BJP, claimed only 36 seats out of 80. However, in a rebound, the BJP achieved success in the November 2024 assembly by-elections, winning six seats, while their ally, the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD), secured one seat. In contrast, the Samajwadi Party could only win two seats out of nine they contested.
Dimple Yadav also addressed the recent tragic stampede at the Maha Kumbh, offering condolences to the families of the victims.
This is a very unfortunate and sad incident. Our condolences are with the affected families. We pray for the speedy recovery of those hospitalized. We demand that the government increase compensation and ensure that all bodies are handed over to the families,†she said.
The deadly stampede, which occurred in the early hours of Wednesday, claimed the lives of at least 30 people and left 60 others injured. The incident took place during the Mauni Amavasya, marking the Second Shahi Snan at the Kumbh, when millions of devotees had gathered at the Triveni Sangam to take a holy dip.
In response to the tragedy, the Uttar Pradesh government has assured enhanced arrangements for the upcoming Basant Panchami (Third Shahi Snan) on February 3. Authorities in Prayagraj have also formed a judicial inquiry commission to investigate the cause of the stampede. Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police (DGP) Prashant Kumar confirmed the establishment of the inquiry commission and said discussions were ongoing about how to improve the facilities for the Basant Panchami celebrations.