SULTANPUR — Amid tight security, Rahul Gandhi appeared before Special Judge Shubham Verma to record his statement under Section 313 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. The Congress leader maintained his innocence throughout the proceedings, which lasted roughly 30 minutes.
Key Defense Arguments:
- Denial of Intent: Gandhi’s advocate, Kashi Prasad Shukla, told reporters that the leader explicitly denied using derogatory words. “I have never used derogatory language with the intention of defaming anyone,” Gandhi reportedly told the court.
- Distortion of Facts: The defense argued that the complainant had “distorted” the 2018 press conference statements to create a false narrative.
- Political Conspiracy: Gandhi alleged the case was a strategic attempt by the ruling party to destroy his personal reputation and that of the Indian National Congress.
Case Background
The legal trouble began in August 2018 when BJP local leader Vijay Mishra filed a complaint.
- The Allegation: Mishra claimed Gandhi’s remarks against Amit Shah were defamatory and hurt the sentiments of BJP workers.
- Procedural History: Gandhi had previously surrendered to the court on February 20, 2024, and was granted bail. His last appearance before this was in July 2024.
- Current Status: The court has completed the cross-examination of the plaintiff and two witnesses.
What’s Next?
The court has scheduled the next hearing for March 9, 2026. At that stage, the defense may present its own witnesses or begin final arguments.
The Legal Timeline: 2018–2026
| Year | Milestone |
| May 2018 | Alleged remarks made during a press conference in Bengaluru. |
| Aug 2018 | Defamation complaint filed by Vijay Mishra in Sultanpur. |
| Feb 2024 | Rahul Gandhi surrenders and is granted bail. |
| July 2024 | Gandhi appears for a hearing, claiming political conspiracy. |
| Feb 2026 | Gandhi records formal statement denying all charges. |

