New Delhi:
On the first Friday of the holy month of Ramadan, Israeli authorities imposed tight restrictions on Palestinian access to the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem, leaving hundreds of worshippers stranded at checkpoints across the occupied West Bank.
According to Al Jazeera, long queues formed at the Qalandiya checkpoint near Ramallah, with Palestinians waiting for hours in hopes of reaching one of Islam’s holiest sites. Israeli officials said they would permit no more than 10,000 Palestinians from the West Bank to enter the Al-Aqsa compound on Friday, significantly lower than typical Ramadan attendance in previous years.
Permits Required, Attendance Drops Sharply
The Israeli authorities stated that entry would be allowed only for Palestinians holding special permits, effectively limiting access to a fraction of worshippers who traditionally attend Friday prayers during Ramadan.
However, Israeli media suggested that actual attendance was even lower. Channel 12 reported that only around 2,000 Palestinians had crossed the Qalandiya checkpoint by morning, as Israeli security forces remained on high alert.
‘Just a Drop in the Ocean’: Palestinians Face Severe Restrictions
Reporting from Qalandiya, Al Jazeera correspondent Nour Odeh said the quota was insignificant given the population of the occupied West Bank. She noted that around 3.3 million Palestinians live in the territory, making the 10,000-person cap “a drop in the ocean.”
Odeh recalled that in previous years, as many as 250,000 worshippers visited Al-Aqsa during the first Friday of Ramadan, highlighting the drastic reduction in access this year.
Ramadan Traditions Disrupted
Odeh said visiting Al-Aqsa during Ramadan is a longstanding tradition for Palestinians that spans generations. She added that many worshippers would not be able to break their fast at the mosque this year, describing the restrictions as an effort to weaken community bonds and limit connections between East Jerusalem and the West Bank.
Hundreds Stranded at Checkpoints
Palestinian news agency Wafa reported that hundreds remained stuck at checkpoints throughout the day. Israeli authorities later claimed that the quota for West Bank worshippers had already been filled by late morning.

